Sunday, March 6, 2022

CUIN 4361 Vblog 2

 


Hi everyone! I decided to interview Dianna Polnac who is a 2nd grade ESL certified teacher who has been teaching for 27 years.

 

 

 

Dianna provided me lots of insight into the world of teaching ELLs in the classroom. Since I am about to have my classroom with students who may very well be learning English as they come into the school year, I thought it was important to ask questions about best practices for teaching ELLs. She told me how fulfilling it is to see a student come into your classroom knowing absolutely no English, to now reading, writing, spelling, and comprehending things in English. Now of course it takes time, which is why I was not surprised when she told me to have lots of patience when working with ELLs. She also talked about how visuals are a huge help with teaching ELLs. 

According to Wright, “Teachers who understand second language development and who engage in effective instructional and authentic assessment practices speak to their students and listen to them talk every day. They read with their students and ask them questions about what they read (Wright, 2019). Dianna was able to share with me the progress one of her students has made, which makes me really see the importance of reading and speaking with ELL students every day. After conducting this interview, I realized that being an ELL teacher will be challenging, but I can do it because I know an effective teacher will use effective strategies in the classroom. “It has become clear, however, that all teachers are ELL teachers, because all share in the responsibility of meeting the language and academic needs of ELLs” (Wright, 2019).


References

Wright, W. E. (2019). Foundations for teaching English language learners: Research, theory, policy, and Practice. Caslon. 



7 comments:

  1. Hello Elijah,
    I enjoyed watching your interview and reading your reflection. Dianna’s responses to all your questions are very informative.
    It was amazing to hear about the two boys who came from South Korea knowing absolutely no English, to now writing, reading, comprehending, and speaking English.
    As a result of watching your interview, I learned just how important visuals are for English learners and much more. Images allow these English learning students to better understand what is being taught. Providing for these student’s learning needs is critical. Pictures, anchor charts, graphic organizers, and other visuals provide English learners with concrete examples.
    I also liked how Dianna emphasized the importance of having patience when working with English learners. This is critical when working with students, especially if the student is learning a new language. The teacher must provide wait time for these students to truly comprehend what the question is asking or what is being taught during lessons. Like stated in Wright, “Teachers must be patient after asking a question” (pg. 163). Learning a new language from scratch can lead to frustration and many other emotions for the students. “Productive classroom talk refers to engaging students in discussions “in which they talk, think, and reason together; carefully listen to one another; negotiate meanings; and collaboratively make progress in their thinking” (Wright/van der Veen et al., 2017, pg. 165). It is important, like Dianna mentioned, to “put yourself in their shoes.” Providing students with high-quality instruction, like guided small groups, will help these English learners reach their goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post! I like how you see the important of an effective teacher giving ELLs appropriate wait time when asked questions to make sure they are comprehending what is being taught. According to Wright, “…all teachers are ELL teachers, because all share in the responsibility of meeting the language and academic needs of ELLs” (Wright, 2019). As future educators we must be able to meet the needs of any ELL. Thank you again for commenting!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hi Elijah!

    I enjoyed reading your post and watching the interview that you conducted. I believe that the person you conducted, Dianna, said a lot of wonderful things that many can agree with. As Wright states, "teachers need to find ways to make their instruction comprehensible for ELLs, and they need to provide ample opportunities for meaningful interaction in the classroom" (2019, p. 66). As Dianna was sharing her experience with ELLs, I believe she does find ways for her ELLs to comprehend and learn along with their peers in the classroom. I love how she always refers back to allowing wait time and always providing ELLs visual aids. Having that visual representation is a huge factor for ELLs because it helps them with their vocabulary.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivonne! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post! First, I love the quote you included from Wright. Teachers certainly must be able to differentiate instruction in their classroom to meet the needs of ELLs and all students. Wright also states, “How educators choose to view their ELLs affects how they organize teaching and learning in their classes and how administrators structure programs in their schools and districts” (Wright, 2019). An effective educator cannot view ELLs as subpar because that will negatively impact their learning. Thank you again for commenting!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

CUIN 4361 Vblog 2

  Hi everyone! I decided to interview Dianna Polnac who is a 2nd grade ESL certified teacher who has been teaching for 27 years.      ...